Cocoa City Council has approved to sponsor at least 4 residents to go through the Brevard County Parks and Recreation Lifeguard Course in hopes to get more Lifeguards at the Dr. Joe Lee Smith Community Center pool. The pool can not be open and used by the community at this time due to a shortage of lifeguards. These sponsorships will hopefully entice residents to become a certified Lifeguard so the pool can be utilized once again.
The next Lifeguard Course begins in May and has the following requirements:
• Must be at least 15 years of age
• Must schedule and complete a pre-course swim test. Must call (321) 633-1870 to schedule this test.
• Must complete all course components online and class assignments
• Must be present for all class dates listed above
• Pre-course Swim Test: 300 yards swim, treading water, 10 lb. brick retrieval
The City of Cocoa will cover the fees to participate in the lifeguard course. The resident will then need to apply with Brevard County Parks and Recreation for a lifeguard position and request to be stationed at the Dr. Joe Lee Smith Community Center.
To apply and get more information, visit https://www.cocoafl.org/FormCenter/City-Managers-Office-4/Lifeguard-Training-Sponsorship-Applicati-135.
Next Lifeguard Course:
McClarty Park Community Center - 790 Barton Blvd., Rockledge, FL 32955
May 2, 4, 6, 9, 11 from 5-9pm
May 14 from 8a-1p