On May 27, 2008, Cocoa City Council adopted Resolution No. 2008-45 appointing eleven members to the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee (AHAC) to review the established policies and procedures, ordinances, land development regulations, and adopted local government comprehensive plan and recommend specific actions or initiatives to encourage or facilitate affordable housing.
In accordance with Florida Statute 420.9076, at a minimum, the AHAC must submit a report to Council that includes recommendations on affordable housing incentives in the following areas:
- The processing of approvals of development orders or permits, as defined in s. 163.3164(7) and (8);
- The modification of impact-fee requirement, including reduction or waiver of fees and alternative methods of fee payment for affordable housing;
- The allowance of flexibility in densities for affordable housing;
- The reservation of infrastructure capacity for housing for very-low-income persons, low-income persons, and moderate-income persons;
- The allowance of affordable accessory residential units in residential zoning districts;
- The reduction of parking and setback requirements for affordable housing;
- The allowance of flexible lot configurations, including zero-lot-line configurations for affordable housing;
- The modification of street requirements for affordable housing;
- The establishment by which a local government considers, before adoption, policies, procedures, ordinances, regulations, or plan provisions that increase the cost of housing;
- The preparation of a printed inventory of locally owned public land suitable for affordable housing; and
- The support of development near transportation hubs and major employment centers and mixed-use developments.