- Feature Links
- Discrimination Complaint Procedure
Discrimination Complaint Procedure
The City assures that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, family, or income status, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any City-sponsored program or activity. If a person believes that he or she has been discriminated against, he or she may file a discrimination complaint with the City’s Title VI/ADA Nondiscrimination Coordinator:
City of Cocoa
Tammy B. Gemmati, Administrative Services Director
65 Stone Street
Cocoa, Florida 32922
- All complaints shall include:
- Name, address and contact number of the person making the complaint;
- Names, addresses and contact numbers of witnesses;
- A narrative or statement describing the alleged violation of Title VI, or other claim of discrimination, including date and time of the alleged violation and City program or facility where the alleged violation occurred; and any other documentation that may provide an additional explanation or identification of the alleged discrimination.
Note: Alternative means of filing complaints, such as personal interviews or a recording of the complaint will be made available for persons upon request.
- All complaints shall be filed no later than 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination.
- Within fifteen (15) calendar days after receipt of the complaint, the Human Resources Coordinator will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolution.
- Within thirty (30) calendar days of the meeting, Human Resources staff or designated investigator will complete an investigation of the allegations and respond in writing to the person who filed the complaint. The response will explain the position of the City and offer options for substantive resolution of the complaint.
- The person who filed the complaint may appeal the written response if it does not satisfactorily resolve the issue. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the City Manager, within fifteen (15) calendar days after receipt of written response.
- Should the complainant be unable or unwilling to complain to the City of Cocoa, the written complaint may be submitted directly to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT). FDOT serves as a statewide clearinghouse for Title VI purposes and will either assume jurisdiction over the complaint or forward it to the appropriate federal or state authority for continued processing:
Florida Department of Transportation
Equal Opportunity Office
ATTN: Title VI Complaint Processing
605 Suwannee Street MS 65
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Updated April 2019