Local Business Tax Receipt Applications
Effective January 1, 2007, per Florida Statutes Chapter 205.022, the new law changes the name of the Occupational License Tax to the "Local Business Tax". It adds an additional definition: the term "RECEIPT" means the document issued by the local governing authority, which bears the words "LOCAL BUSINESS TAX RECEIPT".
Forms & Guidelines
In this section, you will find helpful information for Local Business Tax Receipts in the City of Cocoa, FL. Please make sure you have all the forms and materials completed on the checklist when you submit as incomplete applications will not be retained by our Building & Permitting Division. You can also print this version of the Business Tax Receipt checklist.
Business Tax Receipt Checklist
- Property must be in The City of Cocoa City Limits.
- If the proposed business will be called any name other than the full legal name of the owner or a corporation uses a name other than its legal corporate name, a fictitious name (also known as a DBA - Doing Business As) must be registered with the State. The Principle address must reflect an address in The City of Cocoa City Limits or the business’s corporate address. Forms and additional information are available from www.sunbiz.org or via phone at 850.487.6058.
- Property owner must sign and have their signature notarized on the Business Tax Receipt Application Or attach a copy of a notarized lease to the application.
- Proof of signer agent for property owner
- This may be found on the Brevard County Property Appraiser website. Please provide a copy and attach to the Business Tax Receipt Application.
- You may also provide a copy of a Warranty Deed or any other proof of ownership.
- If the property is listed under a corporation or LLC Please provide a copy of the company’s Sunbiz showing proof of the signer agent for the property and attach to the Business Tax Receipt Application.
- Please note if applying for a Home-Based Business and the house is recorded under an Estate please provide proof of signer agent for the Estate and attach a copy to the Business Tax Receipt Application.
- Applicant must sign and have their signature notarized on the Business Tax Receipt application.
- If you are a professional or in a business that requires a license from any division of the State of Florida, you must first obtain your State license before applying for a City of Cocoa Business Tax Receipt. For more information, please refer to “Classification/Certificate Requirements for Professionals.” chart.
- Applicant must fill out and submit Emergency Contact Form.
- If business is home-based, applicant must sign and notarize the “Home Occupation Affidavit”.
- If applying to be a handyman, applicant must sign and notarize the “Handyman Affidavit”.
- If applying to be a rental location, must fill out and notarize the Residential Rental Program Local Agent Registration Form.
- If commercial property, applicant must submit site plan showing exit(s), exit signs, and fire extinguishers.
- If commercial property, applicant will need to schedule fire inspection after approval from Planning and Zoning. Please contact Sam Schaller at email@example.com and CC the Fire Department firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant will be notified of Planning and Zoning approval.
- Fees due upon pickup of approved City of Cocoa Business Tax Receipt. After obtaining approved City of Cocoa Business Tax Receipt, you must apply for a Brevard County Business Tax Receipt at 321.264.6969.
Please submit your Business Tax Receipt application and all supporting documentation in one PDF file to email@example.com.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be processed, nor will they be retained by our Building & Permitting Division.